Skip to content Skip to navigation menu

A Guide to Understanding Horse Passports

It is a legal requirement for all horses, ponies, and donkeys to have a horse passport. A horse passport is a document that proves the identity of your horse, as well as providing information about whether or not the horse can enter the human food chain. This is very important, as some medicines that are given to horses should never enter the human food chain.

Government information about horse passports and how to get one can be found here:

Passports need to be issued by an authorised Passport Issuing Organisation:

If your horse is declared as NOT INTENDED for human consumption in section IX of the passport, a vet, suitably qualified person (SQP), or pharmacist can dispense any appropriate medicines or wormers necessary. However, the passport needs to be shown to the vet, SQP or pharmacist so that they can confirm this before they can dispense any medicines that are classified as only being able to be given to horses that have been signed out of the human food chain.

There are many horse wormers and fly treatments that can only be dispensed to horses that have been signed out of the food chain. If you are not sure, you can contact our pharmacy team, or check the product datasheet here:

If the horse is “INTENDED as slaughter for human consumption” as stated in their passport, they must not be given any medicines falling into the category described above. Any other medicines prescribed do not have to be recorded in the passport, as long as they are authorised for food producing horses, and the withdrawal periods are advised and recorded. A withdrawal period is the time in between the last dose given to the animal, and the time when the level of residues in the tissues reaches the maximum level authorised.
Records of all medicines issued to horses declared as “INTENDED for slaughter for human consumption” must be kept by the owner or keeper, however they do not all legally have to be recorded in the horse passport. Your vet will advise you on which medicines need to be recorded in the passport.